Wednesday 29 April 2009

Down but not out

The one thing that has kept me going in recent years has been swimming. I don't mean Becky Adlington speed, style or stroke for that matter, just whatever state i have been in somehow being able to get myself to the pool on a regular basis and doing a few lengths. Swimming would be the activity above all others that has kept me sane, gave me something to do no matter how little and a reward with a relaxing float, a whirlpool, Jacuzzi, Sauna or Steam room at the end makes it worth the effort and a fully fledged well-being activity that i can put in my mental account in the plus column.

The other thing in my favour is that i am a member of a pretty ok health club close by, its reasonably comfortable, modern, decent gym, studio with lots of classes all hopelessly out of my 'ability' range a simple but good restaurant (if a little leisurely paced with preparing the food) and even physiotherapist onsite. I have been a member quite a few years now but i don't smoke, i dont drink my health puts paid to lots of other activities so this is my one indulgence well one of the few (food is possibly another) (definitely).

so my plan is to make use of this facility as much as i can, a simple one you may say and on average i use it 6 times a month currently, people reading this may think this is not worth it but actually 6 times is the break even point and i was reading an article recently that said that gyms are actually over-subscribed by 5 times the members they could accommodate except once joined and paying regular only one in five turn up at all at any regular interval, so already i use it in the top 20%.

My rough plan is to go 3 times a week; just easy swim at first and see where that gets me in a couple of weeks, any other times can be purely for a sauna or steam room etc.

my other health activity is walking, our dogs need walking each day but get probably 5 walks a week at night, this up to 7 no matter how short

and finally carry on with my treatment at Radcliffe the other end of the forest! I get various health treatments once or twice a week more about these later, but these work ok and may provide future better management solutions - all sounds a bit technical - not really more like shot in the dark.

well thats enough for now, back to bed CeeJay

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ceejay, I am looking forward to hearing how your plan goes- good luck with all the swimming, I will imagine that you are stinking of chlorine as you type. I hope Clayton isnt such a strong swimmer and you get that time in the pool alone. Sara

    ReplyDelete